Tuesday, May 26, 2009

What was I thinking?!

Last week, I lamented over my daughter's ultra-curly hair in a Not Me! Monday post. It seems like a crazy thing to secretly (or not so secretly now!) wish to not have to deal with hair that draws oohs and aahs everywhere we go, but having survived 30+ years with the same "curse," I know what lies down the road ahead: careful washing, careful conditioning, careful brushing, careful applying of anti-frizz creams...

you get the idea. And that's not even what it takes to survive typical Gulf Coast humidity!

There is a tight rope to walk when dealing with naturally curly hair. One waver in your step and it is 'fro city. And I don't mean 'fro in a hip, modern way (think Project Runway, etc.). We are talking finger in the light socket, bride of Frankenstein's monster. Not a pretty sight. Believe me, I have deflected my share of criticisms over my hair on its less than stellar days (and trust me, there were many).

So, with these painful memories in mind, and no doubt a bad hair day of my own, I boohooed over Jillian's hair. I felt like a horrible mom for doing it, too! I mean really, God gifted me with this amazingly cute, larger than life, highly animated, three-year-old (in a few short days) and I should love every inch of her unconditionally, from her unruly hair down to her unreasonable obsession with shoes!



And truly I do, it's just that head of hair!

A few days ago, the kids were playing in the sprinkler and I noticed something:




Now, don't get me wrong, I always notice Jilly's spring-like curls. But this time, I saw those perfect spirals as a perfect compliment to a practically perfect little girl. With this new outlook, I decided to have a photo shoot, not of Jilly, but of her curls!



Sounds crazy, I know! But what better way to celebrate her dominant physical attribute than with a copious collection of corkscrew curls?!


Trust me when I say there were many, many more pictures. But who in the world wants to scroll through dozens of pictures of curly hair. NOT ME! Okay, so I'm a day late on that one.
At any rate, when I find myself cursing the curls--as I no doubt will--these photos will remind me of the beauty that is my Jilly's hair. I feel a bit like Shakespeare when he says:

"Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings."

Okay, so that was a bit of a stretch, but I felt the Bard just screaming to be heard.


Wow, with all this talk of hair, I suddenly feel the need for some mousse!

2 comments:

  1. I know that it is hard but it is so beautiful! When I was 12 I remember I cut my hair really short and cried every day because I didn't know what to do with short curly hair!! But I love my hair today and I am able to manage it, NOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jilly is just a beautiful beautiful girl, full of so much spunk, she has to have spunky hair too Mom! Love that girl!

    ReplyDelete

Butterflies to Chase