Friday, March 13, 2009

Missing my Mema

Today is my Mema's birthday. However, no birthday parties are to be had today: she passed away in 1999. Growing up, I spent a great deal of time with my Mema. She was not just my grandma, but my friend, confidante, cook, shopper, and movie watcher. Thinking back to all the time we were blessed to share, there are a few things that really stand out. I rembember:

  • Staying up late watching scary movies

  • Eating her fried chicken and potato salad

  • Savoring her collard greens, salt pork, and cornbread (NOT the Jiffy kind, but skillet cornbread)

  • Talking about anything and everything

  • Listening to Bread, Richard Clayderman, and Barbara Streisand in the car on the way to school

  • Squeezing homemade buttercream icing straight out of the icing bags into open mouths

  • Loving all the clever comebacks I could've used for school drama, but hating that I didn't think of them at the time

  • Crawling in her lap and crying my eyes out when I found out my puppy died (I was 22!)

  • Rolling and "putting the color on" her hair

  • Playing endless games of Chinese Checkers or Trouble

  • Waking to the sound of her singing "Good Morning to You" with her purposely cracking the last note of "you"


I miss my Mema so much! Not a day goes by that I don't wish my children would've had the opportunity to know her. There are several of you who knew her well and have special memories of her. If you were blessed beyond measure by knowing my Mema, please feel free to post a comment with your favorite memory of her.

Here is a picture of Mema and my little sister taken in 1991.

Happy Birthday Mema!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this Danielle. I am sorry your missing her. I know how hard it is to lose someone who meant so much. Hugs to you and yours today.

    ReplyDelete

Butterflies to Chase